Saturday 16 July 2011

Introducing Elsie Bell




As promised here is the interview with digital artist and photographer Elsie Bell, whose blog I was interviewed for a few weeks ago. So without further ado:


Who is Elsie? Can you tell us a bit about yourself?
I’m 44, married with one son, two step sons and a step grandson (and another on the way) . We moved to the countryside from London just over a year ago. My life has not been without its stresses but I feel like I am living the dream. I love my home, village, photography and life. I do a volunteer shift behind the bar at our local members club and throw myself into village life 100%. I lost my mum recently and I’m trying not to forget what I have here and now. I’m surrounded by so much beauty, with a view from the bedroom I once would have killed for. But I never take anything for granted, treat others how I would like to be treated and try and enjoy every day to the fullest.

What is your line of creativity?
I’m a photographer and digital, mixed media artist. That means I take photos and play around with them in a variety of editing software programs.

Are you self taught or college/uni trained, and has this informed the way you work?
Completely self taught, which means I am very slow at what I do. I’m sure experts can do what I do in half the time, I’m pretty sure I always go the long way round. I’m a visual learner, so I do turn to you tube videos for help.

Can you describe your style of work?
In One word, yes! Eclectic. I do have a small body of work that is the same style, but I learn something new every day and then apply it to everything I do until something else comes along.

Who and/or what influences you and your work?
EVERYONE. At the moment though I’m leaning towards my all time fave, William Hogarth. I’d love to create the ‘people’ pics that can keep you entertained for hours.

What's your favourite film?
It’s a Wonderful Life. Can’t miss with James Stewart. Feel good factor movie. All time great.

What is your ideal job?
This! being interviewed about doing what I love. Photographs and more photographs... Forever!





Can you name one thing about yourself that is unique or surprising, that people wouldn't be able to tell about you unless you told them?
Er.... nope....

Describe your perfect day?
Getting everything on my ‘to do’ list done. It hasn’t happened yet but I know that would be a perfect day.

What is your favourite drink?
Beer!

Do you have any pets and if so what/who?
Two rabbits, Pepper and Florence. We’ve just fenced off a hedge so they can run around the garden and they are having the time of their lives.






Do you smile a little or a lot?
Yes a lot! I am a big smiler, but not so sure my cheesy grin is as attractive as it once was.

What time were you up till last night and why?
I went up to bed at 10.30pm. I have an annoying habit of falling asleep on the sofa; so I am trying really hard to go to bed before it happens, or my poor husband has to spend hours trying to get me upstairs. I can actually fall asleep at the laptop, playing a computer game and even have nodded off during parlour games. Quite funny when it involved writing and I was doing it in my sleep!

Dream
holiday destination?
I’m such a boring home bird.... can’t stick the heat, but I do love Cities, as I adore history and architecture. I have a fancy to go to Russia.

Most played record?
Er.. at the moment it would be PIE JESU, Andrew Johnstone’s version. I played it recently at my mum’s funeral and I need to lose myself in it from time to time.

Book you would recommend everyone should read?
To Kill a Mockingbird! Harper Lee It’s just one of those books you have to read in your lifetime.


Thanks Elsie, I loved your answers, and I didn't realise before we are exactly the same age :-). Oh yes a perfect day when everything on the TO DO list is done!

Find more of Elsie's stunning work on her Facebook page, her Redbubble page and be sure to follow her on Twitter

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this interview especially as I chat regularly with Elsie on Facebook and redbubble about photography and her amazing art. This interview has given me an insight into the very talented Elsie Bell and I hope others enjoy this interview as I have.

    Fred Taylor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback Fred! :-) I agree Elsie's work is amazing and she is also a lovely lady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesteng interview!

    ReplyDelete