Saturday, 11 June 2011

From pleats to prints

From the Central Saint Martins graduate fashion show again, but this time prints.

I made an incredible breakthrough, a kind of eureka moment happened doing this illustration, after ages pfaffing about and being baffled about it, I FINALLY GOT LAYERS!!!!! (no not the hairstyley kind, or the wrapping up warm kind, but those in my photoshop-type free software GIMP and suchlike - I also have some software that came with my new digital "pen" and floppy drawing/writing tablet).

I was so pleased with myself after struggling so much to work it out, I almost did a dance. But I didn't. And I know I'm not the only one, many fellow illustrators/photographers/creative types I have seen and exchanged woeful hair pulling out tales on Twitter, well my message to you if you read is, is KEEP WITH IT, it can be conquered!!! Layers, you will not defeat me!

Anyway here it is above - article below. All the colour was added digitally. I did two separate pages, one pencil drawing and one watercolour wash loosely based on the dresses and laid one over the other - now this might seem simple but I assure you it is not. Really, no, it is NOT!

No comments:

Post a Comment